The old Paisley Tolbooth is on the corner of High Street and Moss Street and was given to the Burgh in 1491 by Abbot George Shaw. In 1610 (Image Left) it was rebuilt due to its dilapidated condition. It served the purposes of the Municipal Building where the official Weights & Measures of the town were held in order to check on traders also acted as Burgh Courthouse and Town Jail. Two further re-buildings took place in 1751 and 1882, it was during 1868, however the foundation work for a building being erected adjacent to the Tolbooth seriously undermined its stability and two years later it had to be demolished.
(Image left) to make way for the City of Glasgow Bank built in the 1870s. The bank has gone and is now occupied by shops.
(Image Below) This is where the seven people accused of witchcraft were tried and found guilty before being taken to the Gallow Green to be executed on the 10th June 1697. The bronze Tando, with a stainless steel horseshoe embedded it includes the inscription,
“Pain Inflected , Suffering Endured, Injustice Done,
Click the link on the map pins to get a taster on the sites available.