The Paisley Memorial was unveiled on 27th June 1924.
At the end of the First World War, the scale of suffering and loss was without parallel. Individuals and communities sought to commemorate those that they had lost through erecting memorials, and the skills of artists and architects were called upon to express this need for remembrance.
The memorial was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer, one of Scotland’s leading architects and designer of the Scottish National War Memorial in Edinburgh Castle. Surmounting the tall plinth is a bronze sculpture, ‘The Spirit of the Crusades’, by Gertrude Alice Meredith Williams, depicting a mounted knight, accompanied by his modern-day counterparts, four grim, tin-hatted and caped infantrymen.
The Paisley Memorial was unveiled on 27th June 1924. A crowd of 20,000 assembled at the unveiling of Paisley’s war memorial in 1924, to commemorate the 1,953 men of Paisley who died on active service in the Great War.Topped with a statue of “The Spirit of The Crusader” and “The Unknown Soldier” to commemorate the lives lost in the World Wars. It was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer (Sculptor) together with Alice Meredith Williams (Sculptress) who earned themselves an award in a design competition. A replica of this can be found in Cardiff City Museum.