The Coats Observatory was designed by John Honeyman, the funding came from local thread manufacturer Thomas Coats. It opened in 1883 and is one of the best equipped small observatories in the country. The grade ‘A’ listed building houses a variety of equipment and its activities include weather recordings. It has been fitted with a new dome. This is a must visit for astronomy enthusiasts.